[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Trenching

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Trenching
From: Andrew Mcguinness <cogers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 05:48:59 -0800 (PST)

> Tobias Brox wrote:
>  > > i was wondering about trenching... ie WWII when
you get conscription..
> > > instead of forts you build trenches? Just a
tought

> > A good thought, I think.  I'm a bit annoyed about
defending against a
> > "modern" army by forts and city walls ... after
all, those things have
> > almost nothing but historical significance in the
modern military.

> regarding forts, you are both wrong. They were
certainly often used in
> WW2 (Maginot line, Brest, Czech fortification, ....)
and if I am not
 wrong,
> they are still popular in Switzerland. Even today,
you would have a
> hard time to pass through one of those fortification
systems if they
> would be in the same state as after their
completion.

To be pedantic, the Maginot Line was WWI (and not
really used then, since the Germans went round it, but
that means it worked, in a sense).

Your point is correct, however.  Fortifications are
still relevant today (just walk past any barracks in
London)

A way of representing the reduced effectiveness of
fortresses and city walls in modern situations might
be to have a maximum increase that fortresses can give
to a defender - i.e. bonus of 100%, maximum 4.  But I
am not sure this is really necessary.

If an "entrenchment" type feature were to be added, it
should be part of a generalised "built fortification"
thing with a ruleset.  Personally, I think it's too
fine a granularity to bother with (like having
biplanes + monoplanes or suchlike), but if desired,
you could put it in a ruleset with:

Name
Tile
Unit to build
Technology to build
Time to build
defense bonus

etc.

Another thought on city walls - maybe there should be
a maximum size of city that can be walled - about
10-12 or so.  That would allow "fortified bases"
(effectively small cities) to coexist with
modern-style cities that cannot practically be walled.

Andrew McGuinness                  Luton, UK
andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx