[Freeciv-Dev] Re: smooth unit moves (was Re: Some questions)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: smooth unit moves (was Re: Some questions)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:05:44 +1100 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> There already is something of "smooth unit moves" implemented.
> Look in Game/Local Options for "Smooth unit moves", and make
> sure it's "Yes".

> However, this routine has a problem in that it isn't throttled.
> It just blasts all the intermediate positions out as fast as it
> can.  You can see the intermediate positions if you add a small
> delay (I just stuck in a printf()).
>
> However, adding a blocking delay to this would be very bad, as
> it would interfere with other client operations.  A throttled,
> asynchronous queue of some kind might work well, but that could
> get difficult.  I don't know off hand.  Any other ideas?

The best idea once before when this came up was to have a "slider"
control in the client, so the user can set the speed.

I don't think "blocking" is a problem.  Even with the current method,
turning on "smooth unit moves" will make the client "block" slightly
longer than with it off -- too bad, the client will catch up
eventually.  If the player loses some small advantage, thats their
fault for having the moves set so slow :-)   The people who want
smoother moves probably _want_ the move displays to block, so they
can be sure to folllow each move made by AI players etc.

-- David