[Freeciv-Dev] Different sized city area

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Different sized city area
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 06:24:00 +0200 (EET)

 Original idea: When cities grow, their area of effect grows as well. In
game terms, you can't set your workers so far away from small town than
from big metropolis.

 Steps:

1. Old code cleanup. Find places where city map size is hardcoded to 5.
   Change them to CITY_MAP_SIZE. If I don't have time for following steps,
   at least this works as code cleanup. Also it should be possible to
   change map size at compile time (by changing value of CITY_MAP_SIZE).

2. Create some support functions and call them runtime. Make 'city map
   size' server option. This is used for all cities all the time. Cities
   area of effect does not change. If I don't have time for last step or
   it's too difficult to implement, we have at least this.

3. Code to handle changes at citys area of effect. Some server options or
   ruleset entries to handle behavior. It might be too difficult to find
   out citys size at some functions that would require it.

 So far I have studied code and so almost completet step 1. Currently it
seems that code can easily support 3*3, 5*5 (normal) and 7*7 city maps.
There's one square cut out from corners at every case. 9*9 would be too
big anyway? (There must be middle square so 4*4, 6*6 and 8*8 are
impossible).

 Caz