[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Different sized city area

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Different sized city area
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:01:10 -0600

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 03:56:11PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 06:24:00AM +0200, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
> >  Original idea: When cities grow, their area of effect grows as well. In
> > game terms, you can't set your workers so far away from small town than
> > from big metropolis.
>
> Yes, this would be great.  More realistic, and it helps fighting the
> city building frenzy that dominates much of the game.  I've always wondered
> what was holding this back ... wouldn't the layout of the city popup
> windows be a problem?

        Realistically, city size has nothing to do with it -- you're
limited by how far your horse can pull the cart before your apples spoil.
Doesn't matter if your destination is 30K people or 30M.

        Changing the city radius would skew the "best available tiles"
upward, and therefore make most city buildings slightly more valuable.

        You're going to have many more unhappy people in larger cities.
game.unhappysize defaults to 4, and ranged from 2-6 in Microprose
Civilization.  That alone is probably enough of a pain in the neck to not
do it.  Happiness wonders become game breakers, Shakespeare's Theater in
particular.

        If you don't like cities, play on a small map with 10% land mass.
:)
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."