[Freeciv-Dev] Re: First patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: First patch
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 12:17:55 -0500

At 2000/01/04 11:05 , Daniel Zinsli wrote:
>I have some questions on submitting patches:

In case you haven't looked at it, see <http://www.freeciv.org/contribute.html>
for some information on how to contribute to Freeciv development.

>Do you diff against the latest official release, or against the latest
>cvs?

E.g., the above page says "Make sure your patch is made against the latest
version of the source code you can possibly get preferably from CVS or a CVS
snapshot."

>I've hacked some code to display "turns left" for a unit/improvement to
>be built (in citydlg.c), and also to display "turns" to build when
>selecting in the change dialog, (taking into account production
>switching penalties) features I sorely missed when I got my ass whupped
>in my first non-ai civgame yesterday :-)
>
>Is this useful for the rest of you?

Yes!  I'd love it.

>Also, I haven't gotten the "42/42 1 turns left" box in the main
>citydialog to display properly in the Xaw gui, any quick pointers?
>(a link to a xaw tutorial/docs would be nice :)

As for the specific problem, I'd have to look at the code (as soon as you
submit your patch :)

As for an Xaw tutorial, humm...  I don't know of any off hand.  I have the
O'Reilly books, and just read them and existing code...

You might try <http://www.x.org/>, or <ftp://ftp.x.org/R5contrib/>.

>I assume that when adding code to gui-specific files, I have to supply
>both a gtk and xaw version?

There is no requirement to do so.

When I make a change, I try to provide both xaw and gtk updates (and, sometimes
mui changes, though I can't even compile them).  Though, I don't always manage
this, as I'm not very familiar with Gtk.  (Does anyone know of a link to a gtk
tutorial/docs? :)

jjm