[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver.freeciv.org (was: Suggestion)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver.freeciv.org (was: Suggestion)
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 09:35:54 -0800

Reinier Post wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 08:30:30AM -0800, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> > Reinier Post wrote:
> > > civserver.freeciv.org is driven by a script (unpublished) using an
> > > unmodified server.  Some changes to the server would be useful, such as
> > > the ability to reload savegames into a running server, but it seems to
> > > work fairly well without them.
> >
> > Just a small note about this.  I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea
> > about civserver.  The script is unpublished because it isn't in a state
> > that is very easily read.  Almost all of the work was done by Reinier
> > himself.  So I will leave opening it up to him, if he wants to.
>
> Thank you, Paul.  My first concern is preventing abuse; after all,
> it is Paul's machine this script is running on.  If there is sufficient
> demand I guess we could work on a version suitable for publication.
> The same is true for the map+stats feature (http://civserver.freeciv.org/)

Well my concern is the advancement of Freeciv.  So take abuse into that
equation and don't about resources.  If abuse is going to hurt Freeciv,
then it is bad, if Freeciv is unaffected than it is less of a concern.

> > (I just didn't want anyone to think that civserver was going to be
> > closed with some profit motive or something :)
>
> No, we just share the underlying motive: getting away with bad code :)

I am afraid of what people might think if we opened the code in its
current state ;)

--
Paul Zastoupil