[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion

To: waldroni@xxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:17:58 +0100

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 12:22:36PM -0500, Isaac Waldron wrote:
> I would like to suggest that a "stop" command be added to the server.  This
> would be useful for playing solitaire when you want to restart a game.

What would it do, exactly?

> It
> would also come in handy if someone wanted to start the server from a startup
> script so that it is always running in the background.  Another possibility
> would be to add a civserverctl program that would serve as a control program
> the server by using sockets.

There are several possible approaches here.  There are two different ways
to control the server already (tty / civclient) and I'm not sure if
addind supporty for a third method is the way to go.  There have been
requests to have an 'observer' client that would be omniscient, and
it seems to me such an observer would be a good way to incorporate
this functionality.  Adding support to allow clients to connect over
local Unix sockets would be a second useful step.

civserver.freeciv.org is driven by a script (unpublished) using an
unmodified server.  Some changes to the server would be useful, such as
the ability to reload savegames into a running server, but it seems to
work fairly well without them.

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx