[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:09:01 +0100

> The stop command would stop the current game, restoring the defaults for
> variables and so on.  I suppose that someone can use the quit command and
> then restart the server, but in the spirit of laziness it would be easier to
> just say:
>
> > stop
> Game ended.
> > start

Yes, much better; that way, the clients stay connected.
The only problem involved in implementing a 'reset' or 'reload savefile'
command is that some server code may not be reentrant.

> Perhaps the command would first ask if it was ok to stop the game (a popup
> window on each client), and only stop the game by concensus.

If voting is implemented, it would be really nice to have a generic
system.  Regular visitors of civserver.freeciv.org can testify that
agreeing on server settings is quite cumbersome at the moment.

> [...]  However, what about the possibility of having
> connection classes where different people could have different cmdlevels
> automagically, instead of having to set them manually?

This is why we need cookie-based user authentication system, see

  http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/freeciv_hackers_guide.txt#L297

for some ideas without any code to go with them.

--
Reinier