Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] occupychance

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] occupychance
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 18:23:50 -0500

Tony Stuckey (stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

[presumably regarding CTP]

>       I have seen a game where hand-to-hand units took over the square,
> but ranged attack units didn't.  It was somewhat bizarre and I'm still not
> sure I like it.  But that's something to consider.

CTP has "bombard" in addition to normal combat.  Some units (the
first of which is the Cannon) can "bombard" an adjacent square, which
potentially causes damage to one unit in that square, without putting
the Cannon at risk (unless one of the units in the target square has the
"Counter-bombard" ability...).

No doubt about it, bombardment changes the whole game balance.  It's
actually a pretty nice feature, but requires some adjustment of strategy.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers