Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] occupychance

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] occupychance
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:47:18 -0500

At 1999/12/10 16:36 , Greg Wooledge wrote:
>Here's a new server option to play with.  It's only "interesting" now,
>and not "really cool" yet, but it's a first step toward eventually
>implementing parts of Civ:CTP's new features.
>
>In CTP, when you attack and win, your units move into the square
>that the defender was in.  This new server option, which I'm calling
>"occupychance", allows you to set up the game so that this occurs
>in Freeciv.
>
>The reason it's called "occupychance" is because I've also permitted you
>to set the option so that you only move into the target square *some* of
>the time.  (This may or may not be desirable for everyone, but *someone*
>might like it, and it was really easy to implement.... :-) )

I tested it, and it worked fine, but I didn't like it that if your
attacking unit had lots of moves left, it was forced to zero moves left.

E.g., my as-yet unmoved Armor attacks a Warriors on a Grassland, and wins
(surprise ;-).  The attack costs 1 movement.  If I then move that Armor
onto the Grassland where the Warriors was, that costs 1 more movement, and
I still have 1 movement left.  However, with occupychance=100, my Armor
will always move onto the Grassland, and be reduced to zero movement.

I think the Armor should have it's 1 movement left after the ocupychance
move.  So, I propose the small change to your patch that's in the attached
patch.

jjm