Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: New rules for little towns? Modify settl

To: idjason@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: New rules for little towns? Modify settlers?
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 04:10:47 +0100

idjason@xxxxxxxx lyckades klämma ur sig denna upplysta men svårtolkade data:

>  Good idea. But why not make this "Formers" unit just an engineer.
> Remove the city building ability, and make it use two shields and no
> food. Than maybe have an improved version of the settler that would have
> two moves per turn. Sort of like the freight is an improved caravan.

All this is ruleset-matters...
What is needed in the code to make it possible is to have separate flags
for indicating ability to build infrastructure and abiliti to found cities...
Unfortunatelly the flag indicating settler ability (F_SETTLERS) is also
used to indicate settler role and used as such in a lot of places -
including AI code... :(

Now, when one starts to separate abilities like this the question of how
far it is reasonable to go pops up... :/ On one extreme we could have
one flag for each ability - cities, roads, rail, irrigation, farmland,
pollution, and so on... I think it would make sense to have the
possibility of different units for cities, infrastructure,
agriculture/transform/terrain, airbases/forts and pollution...
But it might be more of a mess than we want... :)

I guess the simple way to do it now would be to simply add a "Cities"
flag and replace settler with either cities or settler&&cities in
appropriate places... Having settler mean ability to do all settler
stuff but found cities... That should work - shouldn't it?
I didn't want to do it that way first because I would rather add flags
than change the meaning of an old one... :/

A somewhat related question:
What about underwater cities? :)
(I won't meddle with that now)

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)