Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: We Love the Mr. Day

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: We Love the Mr. Day
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:07:10 +1100 (EST)

Egbert Hinzen wrote:

> > Is everybody happy with "Leader"?
>
> An anarchy has *no* leader.

But in freeciv this isn't really true, as the player can still
move units around, make diplomatic treaties, etc.  My take is
that you just don't have any organised government, so are not
able to raise any taxes etc.

> And: You can't use the German translation of it (because of Hitler).

So, find another word, or translate "Leader" to a blank string...

> I prefer to use *no* title that also fits both.

Well, maybe in German and English, although I think
"We Love the Day" is still a bit awkward, and I expect
in some languages this won't work well.

I prefer "Leader", or changes (somehow) to have no celebration
in Anarchy.

I think currently in freeciv, celebration in Anarchy (as in
Despotism) has the effect of removing tile production penalties,
adjustable in governments.ruleset file.  Could either have an
extra field (or use rapture_size=-1?) to signal no rapture,
or just check whether it has no effect.

-- David