Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is it possible...

To: garfy@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developer <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is it possible...
From: Stig Erik Sandoe <stig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 17:43:02 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Egbert Hinzen wrote:

> > > That would solve the "too many %s"-problem, too.
> >
> > Don't understand this.
>
> At now the translation list contains about 10 strings with a %s too much
> to translate. In the English text it's used to handle the use of "a" and
> "an". I ignore it in the German translation and that runs fine, but don't
> know if it may cause longterm trouble (not freeing allocated memory etc.).

I updated today much of the norwegian translation in an attempt to
get rid of the "too many %s"-problem, and I did it the way the
german translation does it. There is also a lot of problems with
english being a simpler grammatical language than german and
norwegian, e.g in:

"Your %s" where %s is a noun. Both norwegian and german have three
singular "sexes" (m/f/n) and plural forms, for the 'Your' part and
if you screw this up it sounds really flat and/or silly.

Several other similar grammatical problems are scattered around the
place and sometimes one gets comical results.

I have made a lot of updates on the norwegian translation since
yesterday and I'll send a patch one of the days when it has matured
somewhat. (If anyone wants the bleeding edge, mail me)

Stig Erik Sandoe     stig@xxxxxxxxx    http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/