Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inca -> Incan (PR#147)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inca -> Incan (PR#147)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:46:26 +0200

> > Actually I'm still a bit confused about "Incan", because
> > in the dictionary entry which gives "Incan" (adjective), there
> > are references to "the Inca empire", and "Inca influence", which
> > it would have seemed would become "Incan empire" etc if "Incan"
> > were the generically correct adjective? :-/
>
> Hm, I wonder if that means the distinction is subtle, or if it's
> just not well-standardized.

If i remember correctly (not that I was alive at the time), the Incas
arn't the name of a people, it's the name of their emperors.  So if you
have 'the Inca empire', for consistency, change the Egyptians to be
'the Pharao empire', etc.  On the other hand, the Incas ruled over more
than just the Quechua people and their empire is commonly known as 'the
Inca empire', while the Pharaos always ruled over 'Egypt' even at times
when it extended far beyond the usual Egyptian borders.

--
Reinier (who thinks the whole nation modelling is a waste of effort anyway)