Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: registry improvements (PR#98)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: dperezs@xxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: registry improvements (PR#98)
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:13:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Notice the helptext includes some quite long sections (eg, Settlers,
> Diplomats), and especially so if the full helptext file (not just
> ruleset entries) is converted to registry format as I would like:
> then you have big sections on combat, strategy (even the GPL, though
> there are issues there for translations).  So I really prefer a more
> free-form format.
>
> Do you see any problem with having a script which extracts all
> the marked strings in registry files and puts them in a form
> suitable for gettext processing?

If you stick with SGML (so you could say convert to plaintext for people
just browsing, and HTML for the online stuff), you'll gain access to very
flexible rendering Gtk+ widgets which could be coerced into doing pretty
much everything you want.

WRT internationalization of the help, gettext is probably the wrong way to
go.  I think that it would just be easier to i18n the phrases and strings
in the program itself, and then forgo gettext and completely rewrite the
help texts, and stick them in the appropiate subdirectory.

Pardon me if I haven't followed the whole thread :)

- alex