[Freeciv-Dev] offline players not missing turns?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] offline players not missing turns?
From: Mikko Tuumanen <mijutu@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:47:31 +0300 (EET DST)

How about adding a server option which would prevent the server from
starting a new turn before all the players, including not connected
ones, have pressed the "Turn Done" button.

That way all the players don't have to be connected at the same time
and nobody will miss turns.

I did it by commenting out
"game.players[i].conn &&"
in civclient.c in function check_for_full_turn_done.

Shoud I have changed some other parts of the source code too?

How big can I set GAME_MAX_TIMEOUT without causing trouble?

I'm going to start civserver on some machine which stays online
24h/day and set timeout to 24 hours. Players can then connect, play a
turn (or two), disconnect and connect again some other time to see
if other players have played their turns.

If this playing style becomes popular, could you make a dummy
civclient, a very small program, which would stay in the background
connected to the server. It would notify the user when a new turn
is started by playing someting through /dev/dsp, lauching the
real civclient or sending email.