[Freeciv-Dev] tilespec

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] tilespec
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:46:58 +1000 (EST)

This is just a note that I'm currently working on "tilespec":
a system where the list of graphics files in a tileset, and
the contents and layout of each file, are given by a set of
"spec" files which are read by the freeciv client.

The spec files map "tag" strings to individual graphics "tiles"
within the graphics files, and freeciv looks up specific tags
to find the graphics it needs.  Ruleset files specify tag
strings instead of indexes/offsets to specify graphics, eg,
for units/terrain.

Basically, I was idly thinking about how this could work, and
it seemed so cool I just had to go and implement it! :-)

More details (and patches) to come later.  (I have a mostly
figured out design, and mostly-implemented patch for default
tiles + default ruleset + Xaw client.)

Regards,
-- David