Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: registry improvements (PR#98)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: registry improvements (PR#98)
From: David Perez Serrada <dperezs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 01:37:22 +0100 (GMT-1)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> But this is a problem/issue with the layout engine.  What I was
> planning was that the helptext system would strip out single newlines,
> and do the line-wrapping itself (and convert double-newline to hard
> line break and triple newline to paragraph break, so you can specify
> those if you want them).
>
> Or alternatively one could make the registry strip out the implicit
> newlines; either way.  So for me this isn't really about newlines,
> its about having to double-quote every line.
Sorry, I think you were talking about adding implicits newlines. I think
that all new lines should be marked explicit (like in html)

 Of course the double-quotes of every line is a trouble, but not a great
one, think that by adding support of gettext to help files, we fix the
problem about the update of translation, whitout it will be very difficult
to have an up to date translation of all text.

  And whats more if we done a script which put all multilines with double
quotes in all lines, so xgettext could mark it in a correct way, then we
have to add doubles quotes in all translation. For example:

  Suppose we have a ruleset file:

- ----- tmp.ruleset --------
wellcome=_("Hello this is
            freeciv version 2.3")
- --------------------------

  the script make a new file which is marked in POTFILES.in (and not the
original file)

- ------- tmp.ruleset.new -------
wellcome=_("Hello this is"
           "freeciv version 2.3");
- -------------------------------

  so the freeciv.pot would have the following string

- -------- freeciv.pot -----------
msgid "Hello this is"
      "freeciv version 2.3"
- ---------------------------------

  and in the po file I have to write the following:

- --------- es.po -----------------
msgid "Hello this is"
      "freeciv version 2.3"
msgstr "Hola esto es "
       "la versión 2.3 de freeciv"
- ----------------------------------

   so I have to put the double quotes in all translation.... so the
problem is the same. Of course, we could write the po file as:

- -------- es.po ------------------
msgid "Hello this is"
      "freeciv version 2.3"
msgstr "Hola esto es
        la versión 2.3 de freeciv"
- ----------------------------------

   and the execute the script in this file, but I think that this is very
ugly.

   Really I prefer double quote all lines (is more clear, and you woudn't
have any problem whit space at the begin or at the end of the lines) but I
have no problem using the script to do the work for me :-)

> Do you see any problem with having a script which extracts all
> the marked strings in registry files and puts them in a form
> suitable for gettext processing?
  As far as i know I dont see any problem, so if you like go ahead with
the script.

                      Ta otra....        David

+--------------- David Pérez Serrada <dperezs@xxxxxxx>   -----------------+
|        Hay que ser lúcido para ser fuerte, fuerte para ser útil         |
|                       y útil para ser feliz.   - Spinoza                |
+------ Visit http://www.ioba.med.uva.es/~serrada/  also for PGP key -----+