Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: registry improvements (PR#98)

To: dperezs@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: registry improvements (PR#98)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:31:21 +1000 (EST)

David Perez Serrada <dperezs@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, I think you were talking about adding implicits newlines. I think
> that all new lines should be marked explicit (like in html)

Well, the current registry implementation does put the implicit
newlines in, but I'm less committed to that.

Though actually I would still prefer the registry do this, and
then subsequent code can strip out newlines or not as it prefers.
If the registry itself strips them out, there is no way to put
them back, except by having to put "\n" on every line in the
registry explicitly.

>   And whats more if we done a script which put all multilines with double
> quotes in all lines, so xgettext could mark it in a correct way, then we
> have to add doubles quotes in all translation.

Hah, good point, I hadn't thought of that.
But I'm not a translator myself so that concerns me less :-)

>    so I have to put the double quotes in all translation.... so the
> problem is the same. Of course, we could write the po file as:
>
> - -------- es.po ------------------
> msgid "Hello this is"
>       "freeciv version 2.3"
> msgstr "Hola esto es
>         la versión 2.3 de freeciv"
> - ----------------------------------
>
>    and the execute the script in this file, but I think that this is very
> ugly.

Agreed, thats ugly.

>    Really I prefer double quote all lines (is more clear, and you woudn't
> have any problem whit space at the begin or at the end of the lines) but I
> have no problem using the script to do the work for me :-)
>

> > Do you see any problem with having a script which extracts all
> > the marked strings in registry files and puts them in a form
> > suitable for gettext processing?
>   As far as i know I dont see any problem, so if you like go ahead with
> the script.

Well, now I'm not sure...

Incidently, I assume that:

: msgid "Hello this is"
:       "freeciv version 2.3"

would become as output: "Hello this isfreeciv version 2.3"
and so should really be, eg  (assuming the lines were longer)

: msgid "Hello this is "
:       "freeciv version 2.3"

or

: msgid "Hello this is"
:       " freeciv version 2.3"

right?

(Or if the registry keeps the newlines itself, on stripping them
out later you could convert embedded newlines to whitespace :-)

Regards,
-- David