Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound support

To: garbanzo@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: joelh@xxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound support
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:14:34 +1000 (EST)

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:
>
> > Um, I'm a bit concerned about this... I think it's correct that
> > the client _not_ load ruleset files, because eg the server could
> > be using some third-party modpack the client doesn't know about,
> > maybe containing completely different units.  Instead the server
> > should load the sounds data and send this information to clients.
>
> I really hope that sound won't be implemented this way.

> Sure, I'd love sound support, but
> requiring the server to send the sounds to the client would waste massive
> amounts of bandwidth as well as put a lot of strain on us mere mortals
> with modems.

D'oh, I expressed myself very poorly.  Rest assured I am as
bitterly against sending the actual sound data over the wire
as the next person :-)

I meant the server should load and send the sound filenames/tokens.

[Snipped out of order:]

>  If the client
> doesn't already know about a specific unit, what good would a sound for an
> unknown unit do?

To a large extent currently, and more-so in the near-future, the
_only_ things the client knows about a unit type is what the server
tells it.  (Where that the server tells it includes specifications
about what graphics to use etc.)

> Well there's always something similar to what's been done with the tiles,
> so that the names of the files stay consistant, but their contents can be
> changed.

In my upcoming tilespec changes, even the graphics filenames
and internal contents/layout are flexible :-)

Regards,
-- David