Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion: FreeCiv on a Hex!

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion: FreeCiv on a Hex!
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:35:34 -0400

Artur Biesiadowski (abies@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> But the hexes are worth thinking of. Main problem is that hexes are not
> intuitional(sp?)

Intuitive.  But it's a question of what you're used to, really.

> Hex
> coordinates are also not obvious - you will have either holes in array
> holding data or complicated proximity function.

This topic has been discussed on Usenet before, at least in
rec.games.roguelike.development.  (It should be noted that there are
no widely known roguelikes that use hexagonal maps -- they're all
rectangular.)

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort.  The game was designed
with squares in mind; trying to adapt it to a hexagonal map would
require such a major reworking of game mechanics that you'd be better
off rewriting it.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.