Re: [Freeciv-Dev] small.xpm

To: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] small.xpm
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:31:18 +1000 (EST)

Alexandre BERAUD wrote:

> Here is my version of 'small.xpm'

> I have not tested it a lot to see if all drawings are
> centered as they shall be, but I have noticed no mistake,
> yet. Please try it and tell me if there is a pixel wrong.

The people are all 1 pixel too far to the right.
(So the right arrow thing appears with part of an arm...)
(All the smalls are 15 pixels wide; it is easy to drag
on some "guides" in the gimp to mark the divisions.)

Incidently, does anyone know why freeciv has only one
unhappy person, and not a couple like happy/content?

I notice in the current small.xpm, the small "right arrow"
is not 15 pixels wide but instead has 3 transparent pixels
on the right edge.  But these do not really come out
transparent, and instead show as a black bar.  Doesn't
really matter I guess.

A small concern with the new small.xpm is that the
happy and content people are not quite as distinct as
they are currently.  So they are not quite so easy to
distinguish at a glance. :-(

A question: why does pollution on earth cause the sun
to turn into a red giant?!  :-)
Actually, I could see reasons for it appearing more white
(as currently; eg no ozone layerd -> more ultraviolet),
or more red (more smog etc), but either way I think it
should be against a blue sky.

> I was wondering if someone would be interested in coding
> an animation for the atomic blast. I'd like to draw some
> kind of animated explosion like in CivI (much better than
> the one in CivII, in my opinion). The problem is that
> it would need a somewhat large .xpm file containig the
> drawings.

Hmm, I wonder if nukes are two infrequent for this to be
worthwhile.  But I think we do need some different sized
explosion graphics for the explosions patch...

Regards,
-- David