[Freeciv-Dev] gtk client minor bugs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] gtk client minor bugs
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 12:08:35 +1000 (EST)

Here are some minor bugs (or in some cases missing features
or just preferences) I have noticed with the current gtk client:
(Some of these may have been mentioned before.)

The initial refresh problem (only top left square visible).
I know this was called a feature, but I do think we need to
find some fix before a release, or else this will surely
become a very-FAQ.

The output window becomes unreadable when there is a modal
dialog up.   This is not good because error messages etc
may appear in the output window in such cases (eg for
the connection dialog).

The first time I popup help (from the menu), the text region
is only 5 lines long.  Clicking on another help item, or
subsequent help accesses, are ok.

Some columns in the metaserver dialog are not wide enough:
eg, server name and status.  (Resizing the dialog only affects
the Comment field.)

Middle-clicking unit icons in city dialogs (supported units
and present units) should activate the unit and close the
city dialog.  A very convenient short-cut.

Command line parsing is less flexible than for the Xaw client.
Eg, must be "--name" and not "-name" or "-n".  Not a big
problem, but sometimes annoying.

The science report has no way to obtain context help.
Eg, should have either a help toggle, or, probably preferbly,
separate help menus corresponding to Researching and Goal
menus, and help for current techs.

The list of current technologies in the science report is too
short by default.  (Also, I much prefered the multi-column
format of the Xaw client for this.)

City report and messages windows should be longer by default?

The technology trees in help should be expanded a few
levels by default.

The city options dialog: option labels have superfluous
colons on right hand side.

Regards,
-- David