Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gtk client minor bugs

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gtk client minor bugs
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:54:49 +0100 (WET DST)

On Fri, 21 May 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Here are some minor bugs (or in some cases missing features
> or just preferences) I have noticed with the current gtk client:
> (Some of these may have been mentioned before.)
>
> The initial refresh problem (only top left square visible).
> I know this was called a feature, but I do think we need to
> find some fix before a release, or else this will surely
> become a very-FAQ.
>
> The output window becomes unreadable when there is a modal
> dialog up.   This is not good because error messages etc
> may appear in the output window in such cases (eg for
> the connection dialog).
>
> The first time I popup help (from the menu), the text region
> is only 5 lines long.  Clicking on another help item, or
> subsequent help accesses, are ok.
>
> Some columns in the metaserver dialog are not wide enough:
> eg, server name and status.  (Resizing the dialog only affects
> the Comment field.)
>
> Middle-clicking unit icons in city dialogs (supported units
> and present units) should activate the unit and close the
> city dialog.  A very convenient short-cut.
>
> Command line parsing is less flexible than for the Xaw client.
> Eg, must be "--name" and not "-name" or "-n".  Not a big
> problem, but sometimes annoying.
>
> The science report has no way to obtain context help.
> Eg, should have either a help toggle, or, probably preferbly,
> separate help menus corresponding to Researching and Goal
> menus, and help for current techs.
>
> The list of current technologies in the science report is too
> short by default.  (Also, I much prefered the multi-column
> format of the Xaw client for this.)
>
> City report and messages windows should be longer by default?
>
> The technology trees in help should be expanded a few
> levels by default.
>
> The city options dialog: option labels have superfluous
> colons on right hand side.

All of the above mentioned bugs are now squashed.  I advise everyone
that's using the gtk+ client to get the new version from cvs.
[ wow now THAT was a busy Sunday ;-) ]

The previously mentioned memory leaks have NOT been fixed yet.  (Actually
i was hoping someone with acess to Purify would check these out because
debugging memory leaks with printf's is sooo tiresome).

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering