Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Graphics updates.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Graphics updates.
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 08:16:26 +0200

Hi Bobby!

> I'm chipping away at it slowly, and enjoying learning how to use The GIMP in
> the process, but if you've got the talent and are interested, go for it --
> there are other things that I could be doing more efficiently.
>
> But what I'd really like to see for graphics is a big sheet full of unit tiles
> like the Civ II crowd has collected.  These "master sheets" have several rows
> of ships, several rows of artillery, several rows of infantry, several rows of
> cavalry, etc.  So whenever anyone sits down to create a scenario or modpack
> they can just copy the tiles they want from that master collection onto the
> units.xpm that they're building.

Yes that sounds like a good idea! Maybe even have these master sheets in
the distro. To avoid to many dublicates.

Actually, we need a scheme that would let
> multiple people contribute updates to the same master image.)  Then the
> maintainers could pull the best available tiles out to build the units.xpm for
> each new release, and the graphics would improve incrementally rather than by
> big jumps with long delays in between.

It sort of works that way now .. ppl make changes to the tiles we have
now. The problem is that they dont make a diff .. they make a change to
the hole tileset, which is kind of bad.

> p.s. -- I've been meaning to mention this, so maybe now is a good time:  The
> FreeCiv graphics page recommends scanning in images from other games, and of
> course there might also be a temptation to download a Civ II tileset and
> convert it to our requirements.  However, the legal status of GPL'd work seems
> to be quite precarious until we see what the courts and lobbyists are going to
> do with it, so we should be extra careful not to steal copyrighted work and
> incorporate it into our GPL product.  Just my opinion.

Yes, the best would be to create the graphics ourself. That way we can
make even nicer graphics too :)

PS. Anybody know how to implement sounds in Freeciv in a proper way?

Best regards
Martin Willemoes Hansen