Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:21:58 -0500

Stefan Taferner (taferner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> In my Civ2 experiences, the global warming did take effect, but did not
> do more damage than in the particular game I finished now. Also the global
> warming stopped after a couple of turns.

If the global warming stops, it's because the pollution has been removed.

> Probably the AIs did also work on
> reducing pollution.  In the freeciv game I talked about the warming did not
> stop. Had 6-8 warming effects with worsening results as the warming
> increased.

This is because the Freeciv AI takes no preventive measures at all
against pollution.  In fact, the AI goes out of its way to maximize
shield production (which unfortunately spews pollution).  When you get
over to the AI's territory, you'll see that it's mined/forested every
square and laid down railroads, and that there's pollution everywhere.

> > You should crush the AIs faster.  Show no mercy!  Then they will not
> > pollute. :-)
>
> You won't be able to do so if there are more AIs then humans.

Perhaps not before a round of two of global warming, but it shouldn't
be that hard to wipe them all out.

> I also think that your suggestion is no real solution to this problem :-)

The only long-term solution is to educate the AI.  Of course,
absorbing its cities into your empire is a great way to help it achieve
enlightment... at least on that world.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.