Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects
From: Stefan Taferner <taferner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:12:29 +0100

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, you wrote:
> Stefan Taferner (taferner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > It seemed to us that the effects of global warming are very biting.
> > Maybe it was the computer players (5 AIs) that where causing it...
> >
> > But I played Civ2 a lot and there was never that much effect.
>
> Huh?!?
>
> Wait, hold that thought -- what difficulty setting were you using
> for Civ2?  That might make a difference.

What is the highest setting called? God mode?
That's what I played most of the time.

> In my Civ2 experience, global warming is *devastating*.  Each occurrence
> of global warming seems to do about 3-5 times as much damage as each
> occurrence in Freeciv.  But perhaps that's because I play Civ2 on
> Emperor/Deity settings exclusively.

In my Civ2 experiences, the global warming did take effect, but did not
do more damage than in the particular game I finished now. Also the global
warming stopped after a couple of turns. Probably the AIs did also work on
reducing pollution.  In the freeciv game I talked about the warming did not
stop. Had 6-8 warming effects with worsening results as the warming
increased. However, the two human players had nearly no more pollution
produced at the point we stopped...

> > Do AIs already react on global warmings?
>
> The AI will clean up pollution, sometimes.  But it doesn't go out of
> its way to *prevent* pollution.
>
> > If not: is it possible to just ignore the AI's pollution meanwhile?
>
> Yes, certainly.  Global warming is rather... global.  Everyone gets
> hit equally hard, including the AI, which is probably less clever about
> dealing with the effects than you are.

Probably, yes.

> > Otherwise the game stops being playable at some point if there
> > are more AIs than human players...
>
> You should crush the AIs faster.  Show no mercy!  Then they will not
> pollute. :-)

You won't be able to do so if there are more AIs then humans.
I also think that your suggestion is no real solution to this problem :-)

--Stefan