Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects

To: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:26:47 +1100

Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 01:33:40PM -0500, Jeff Mallatt was heard to say:
> >
> > 3. Inflict the consequences of global warming more on those who are doing
> > the polluting (not *entirely* on them -- there'd still be a global
> > component).  I realize that this is unrealistic (it's not *global*
> > warming), but I think it may be a good thing for the balance of game play.
> > I've looked at the code, and this seems relatively easy to implement.
>
>   I'm not sure if this is such a good idea.  This eliminates the "Please clean
> up your pollution or I'll invade your country" aspect of diplomacy.. ;-)
>
>   Probably the proper solution is to make AIs scared of global warming.

Maybe the Greenpeace wonder should penalise all nations with polution with
cash fines according to how old the pollution is, or maybe how close the
world is to global warming . Whoever builds the wonder is exempt (or the
fines reduced). Alternatively the United Nations wonder could be used for
the same thing or perhaps some other sanctions.

Regards,
Steve Hodge