Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Global warming effects
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:08:12 -0500

Stefan Taferner (taferner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> It seemed to us that the effects of global warming are very biting.
> Maybe it was the computer players (5 AIs) that where causing it...
>
> But I played Civ2 a lot and there was never that much effect.

Huh?!?

Wait, hold that thought -- what difficulty setting were you using
for Civ2?  That might make a difference.

In my Civ2 experience, global warming is *devastating*.  Each occurrence
of global warming seems to do about 3-5 times as much damage as each
occurrence in Freeciv.  But perhaps that's because I play Civ2 on
Emperor/Deity settings exclusively.

> Do AIs already react on global warmings?

The AI will clean up pollution, sometimes.  But it doesn't go out of
its way to *prevent* pollution.

> If not: is it possible to just ignore the AI's pollution meanwhile?

Yes, certainly.  Global warming is rather... global.  Everyone gets
hit equally hard, including the AI, which is probably less clever about
dealing with the effects than you are.

> Otherwise the game stops being playable at some point if there
> are more AIs than human players...

You should crush the AIs faster.  Show no mercy!  Then they will not
pollute. :-)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.