Re: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:43:54 -0300

My suggestions [and a bit of theoretic physics and even FC]:

On Mar 19, Samuel Porter decided to present us with:

> Thats not the point though, it would be stupid to have solar pannels if
> they are only going to be used for a small fraction of the way, it would
> be much more effitiont if it was a type of reactor instead.

* Module: "xxx reactor" (where xxx = antimatter, or anything
fancy we want to use). Provide power for life support and
internal uses during the travel.

* Module: "solar panel". Provides power while within range of a
star, reducing the load on other energy sources the ship may
have.

* Module: "cosmic panel". Provides power while above lightspeed,
reducing the load on other energy sources the ship may have.

Rationale: if we're assuming it is possible to cross lightspeed
(as opposed to assuming the ships use hyperspace, warps, or some
of the other theorized space travel methods), then any
insignificant particle it encounters will, according to
relativity, behave as energy from ship's point of view. This
energy (matter that somehow is above lightspeed) is called
"cosmic rays", IIRC. If it was possible to cross lightspeed,
ships would have to be shielded against cosmic rays because of
that.

Well, isn't it possible to design a panel to capture cosmic rays
and use them as a power source? I say let's assume it is. Make
this module depend on some further tech (named "cosmic energy").

BTW the "cosmic energy" tech could have other uses. There are
"cosmic rays" free in space, and a sattelite could have "cosmic
panels" to capture energy and send it to your cities.

* Module: "Kubric panels" (the name implies "Kubric" is the
company or person who invented it, and I don't think anyone in
this list would oppose to the tribute). More expensive; works as
a cosmic panel when above lightspeed and as a solar panel when
below lightspeed.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----