Re: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?

To: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:24:16 +1100

Alexandre BERAUD wrote:
> Per wrote:
> >I have to agree with Massimo. Solar panels on a trans-stellar space ship
> >is ridiculous, and "star panels" does not make it any better. I suggest we
> >change to Fusion Generator component instead. Oh, and I want a Bussard
> >Ramjet Wonder while we are at it too... :)
>
> Ok, I wasn't serious when I proposed "star panels" but I DO NOT AGREE
> with you both. You are focalized on the interstellar journey but at
> start and at arrival, the spaceship evolves in a solar system and
> considering this makes that solar panels are not a nonsense.
> However, I will surely bow before the decision of the whole Freeciv team.

Keep in mind that the solarpanels are not for the engines - there are
seperate fuel modules for that. The solar power appears to be for
lifesupport alone. That requirement will be comparitively small, and could
be stored up while the ship is still within range on the sun (and infact the
ship must a closed energy system anyhow so the requirements should be very
low with sufficiently advanced recycling).

Regards,
Steve Hodge