Re: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?

To: Samuel Porter <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:42:30 +1100

Samuel Porter wrote:
> Thats not the point though, it would be stupid to have solar pannels if
> they are only going to be used for a small fraction of the way, it would
> be much more effitiont if it was a type of reactor instead.

Why? It's not like solarpanels are going to be a drag on the ship, and
besides they could be easily converted to be useful at the destination,
whereas a reactor might not. Solarpanels also use a renewable energy source,
which a reactor does not (not that that is relevant here).

> Anyway wouldnt
> it be nicer if we didnt have the spaceship exactaly like the civ1
> spaceship?

Well yes, and no. I have no problem with alternatives such as the Bussard
ramjet, or whatever, although I do think we should try to have a game mode
that is idenitical to Civ and/or Civ2 as far as the mechanics of the rules
go (ie you could have something other than solarpanels as longs as they
require the same prerequisites, cost the same amount to make and are needed
in the same quantity in the ship - it would be difficult to justify 4
seperate reactors).

Anyway my point was the solarpanels are not pointless on the ship; I never
claimed they where the only or even best solution.

Regards,
Steve Hodge