[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Solar panels in a starship?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Solar panels in a starship?
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Mar 1999 10:56:44 +0100

a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD) writes:

> Ok, I wasn't serious when I proposed "star panels" but I DO NOT AGREE
> with you both. You are focalized on the interstellar journey but at
> start and at arrival, the spaceship evolves in a solar system and
> considering this makes that solar panels are not a nonsense.

You must supply power during the interstellar flight, which takes most
of the time.  If I were to design a starship, I would not bother with
a separate power source for the shorter intersystem periods.  When the
ship is under drive, you can just bleed some power off the drive.

cfr. Louis Wu, "Practical Starship Design", Selene Press, Clavius, 2057.

        Massimo