Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wonder Tiles (at last !) :o)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wonder Tiles (at last !) :o)
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:27:45 +0100 (MET)

Aswers to Lalo:

>I like most of them.

Thanx a lot. I feel quite lighter :o)

>Hanging Gardens looked like a box and Great Wall like a flag,
>but this is probably the fault of my mono screen (grr have to
>have the color one fixed soon!)

In fact you've put the finger on the tiles I supposed I'd have
problems with. I didn't know exactly how I would represent Hanging
Gardens and now I find they look like a chocolate bar with some green
cream on it (slurp). The Great Wall was the second problem. But HOW
can I draw a I-don't-know-how-many-miles-long wall on a 30x30 tile ?
Maybe I'll re-draw Hanging Gardens, but the Wall will remain the same
as long as I have no better idea for it. :o{

>Why the gradient background on the oracle?

Well. It isn't a gradient background. The roof is white (or light grey)
and I didn't want to leave it like that. But you're right, I shall put
some decoration on it.

>Sun Tzu's War Academy and Isaac Newton's College don't look like
>anything AFAICS... do you hate college so much? ;-)

Hmmm... They probably look like my past highschool. Actually, it is
the consequence of my lack of imagination. Note: can you explain me
what means "AFAICS" ???

>Otherwise they're great... I can't wait to have Appolo or the
>Pyramids or the Observatory for example lying outside one of my
>cities :-) [though I never really built the Observatory yet]

It's my opinion. I don't know exactly how coders are going to use
them, but it might look fine with the engels tiles under them.

>Oh, I could only load them with the gimp... imagemagick refused
>to open the file. As for how many colors, if you "head"
>wonders.xpm you'll notice there are 600 colors (the first number
>on the third line). The gimp has a command to reduce the
>pallete, but as I'm not an artist (or a frequent X user) I don't
>remember it... someone more experienced will sure teach you :-)

I have not succeeded in installing ImageMagick so I can't answer you
but I viewed the Wonders with Xview and Xpaint without any problem.

Bye.

Alexandre BERAUD