Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More on spys.....

To: Kris Bubendorfer <Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More on spys.....
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 17:40:59 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Kris Bubendorfer wrote:
> > Why bother with the reputation bit at all?  It just seems like an
> > unnecessary
> > complication to me.
>
> Because:
>
> 1.  In CivII Spies can't found embassies.
>
> 2.  Freeciv people did not want to give up this ability, so a compromise
>     was to ensure that only spies that hadn't been up to no good could
>     found embassies.
>
> Everybody was a little concerned how powerful they'd got.  Personally, I
> still think cities are too cheap, and CIV aside, perhaps we need to
> reevaluate the formula ourselves.

Does the foul bit every make any difference in real game play?  First you have
to use the spy to do something bad, then it's got to survive, and then you
have to use the same one again to try to establish an embassy, which isn't
something that happens too often.  I doubt that in practice this ever happens,
it's just extra complication that serves no real purpose.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)                   -- Metallica  |