Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] CVS: dwp: Attempt at improving detection of X11 librar

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] CVS: dwp: Attempt at improving detection of X11 libraries...
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:26:25 +1100

Reinier Post wrote:

> Our Xpm library is on /usr/local/{include,X11} while X11 is in /usr/openwin.

Some Solaris machines I have access to have the same setup, and yet
somehow "./configure ; gmake" just works.  Though curiously the configure
check for #include <X11/xpm.h> fails, so configure doesn't define
HAVE_X11_XPM_H, and yet the client compiles fine.

... Ok, some digging around indicates that on these systems
/usr/local/include is automatically searched by gcc.  But the test
for X11/xpm.h fails because it doesn't use -I/usr/openwin/include,
and xpm.h happens to include X11/Xlib.h etc which are in /usr/openwin.
So the test compilation fails, even though X11/xpm.h is in the search
path.

-- David