Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: Different Texan Ruleset

To: kesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Different Texan Ruleset
From: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:18:09 -0400 (EDT)

(being moved to freeciv-data)

Jake Kesinger wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:
>> Why not Bush?  He'll probably be elected the next President...
>> (Also, I considered Austin, but he was never actually PRESIDENT (or
>> Governor) of Texas, so I didn't want to include him.)
>
>Because LBJ actually *was* President (of the US, admittedly) and a
>Texas senator for a whole bunch of years.

Okay fine, but there's no reason not to have ALL the suggestions.  The
number of combined Leader suggestions is either 6 or 7, and for sure
freeciv can handle that.

>> Don't bother.  The CSA would only be shot down by the Americans on this
>> mailing list who find it offensive.
>
>I'd like to get some opinions from the rest of the Americans on this list
>(and everybody, for that matter).
>
>Personally, I'm an American of Northern persuasion (born&amp;raised in
>Washington state), and don't find the CSA offensive.

Umm, have you so quickly forgotten SOUTH CAROLINA???????

     If the Nazi nation suggestion is going to be shot down (and it looks
like it will be), then I am protesting the inclusion of the CSA.
     People hate Nazi Germany because they denied basic human rights.  The
South denied basic human rights.  The Nazis killed minorities; the South
killed minorities.
     To me, it seems obvious that if one nation is included/excluded,
the other one should be treated the same way.

>>> city_style = "European"
>> This might be a minor point, but why not make this "Classical"?  When
>>you think of Texan plantations, that's closer to a "Classical" type of
>> architecture, probably...
>
>Because I don't think of plantations when I think of Texas.  Maybe it's
>because I live in West Texas instead of East, but when I think of Texas I
>think of oil wells and ranching, neither of which have much classical
>about them.

Okay, but is the architecture of a ranch European?  Are there castles in
West Texas?

---Reed Meyer