Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: Different Texan Ruleset

To: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Different Texan Ruleset
From: Jake Kesinger <kesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:19:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:

> (being moved to freeciv-data)
[Please keep CC:ing me for a while; I'm not subscribed to -data yet]

> Jake Kesinger wrote:
> >On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:
> >> Why not Bush?  He'll probably be elected the next President...
> >> (Also, I considered Austin, but he was never actually PRESIDENT (or
> >> Governor) of Texas, so I didn't want to include him.)
> >
> >Because LBJ actually *was* President (of the US, admittedly) and a
> >Texas senator for a whole bunch of years.
>
> Okay fine, but there's no reason not to have ALL the suggestions.  The
> number of combined Leader suggestions is either 6 or 7, and for sure
> freeciv can handle that.

Well, I'd be against Bush or Richards because they're living people who
haven't been out of office for very long (if at all).  A quick grep of
data/nation/* shows that the only leaders I recognize as being alive
are Pierre Trudeau and Indirha Ghandi (and I'm not sure about her).

I don't think current [real-life] leadersfit in very well with Freeciv, IMHO.

Another argument against Bush, and Richards, as well as Johnson,
Ferguson, and to a lesser extent Henderson, is that they didn't lead the
Texas *nation*, but were instead minor (except for Johnson) leaders of
the American nation.

[CSA]
> Umm, have you so quickly forgotten SOUTH CAROLINA???????

Well, it was a forgettable issue, IMHO.

ObTWIAVBP: The Confederate battle flag (stars&bars) flew over the South
Carolina state legislature building.  Various groups, most notably the
NAACP, protested mightily.  The legislature gave in, and moved the flag
a short distance away. (All IIRC, but I think I have the broad strokes
painted correctly).

>      If the Nazi nation suggestion is going to be shot down (and it looks
> like it will be), then I am protesting the inclusion of the CSA.
>      People hate Nazi Germany because they denied basic human rights.  The
> South denied basic human rights.  The Nazis killed minorities; the South
> killed minorities.

Looking at data/nation/*, I don't see *any* nation, with the exception of
Dunedain and Olympic, that hasn't denied basic human rights at one time
or another (and I suspect the only enligtened view the Dunedan have
regarding the Orc Question involves kerosene :-)

I'm not going to get into the discussion of relative levels of evil
regarding the Nazis, Soviets, Romans, Canadians, etc.

>      To me, it seems obvious that if one nation is included/excluded,
> the other one should be treated the same way.

As for the evils of the CSA, America is just as guilty of them.  (Considering
the CSA *was* part of America from 1776/1789-1861).  Also, if slavery is
the issue, weren't Delaware and Maryland slave states on the Union side?

> Okay, but is the architecture of a ranch European?  Are there castles in
> West Texas?

Well, for that matter, how many castles are there in America, Canada,
S. Africa, Brazil, or Australia? (All of which have city_style European)

The best solution would be to have a wider selection of city_style
instead of just European and Classical.