Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: Texas flag

To: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Texas flag
From: Jake Kesinger <kesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:25:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:
> Hi Jake,
>      Regarding the Texas flag:  I was using a model in a table of state
> flags as a guideline, and the proportions of the blue, white, red regions
> are within one pixel of the correct proportions based on that model.
> In other words, the blue band is the correct width (within the granularity
> of the small size of the image).  Unless the state flags table (from
> National Geographic) was incorrect!

Well, I got my proportions from an on-line Texas history site and
looking at a real-life Texas flag outside my office window.

>      Also, my shield is "wide" and the star appears "large" because I
> wanted to emphasize the STAR in the shield... don't you folks call your
> state the "Lone Star State"??  It was the best compromise on such a small
> image, and still have the star appear like a real star and appear
> *prominent*.

Yeah, it's the ``Lone Star'', but not the ``Huge Star.'' :-)

In all seriousness, considering the restrictions on the problem, there's
probably not an optimum solution.

>      (If Texas has an appropriate official "seal", that might be better
> for the Shield.  We used the Keystone for PA and an official seal
> (actually, the military seal I think) for Chile.)

No, the flag's the best solution.

>      In short, I recommend using your Engels flag and (corrected) ruleset,
> and using my Trident flag and Trident shield.

Considering we're arguing over just a few measly pixels, I'll agree to this.

  ==Jake ``good thing this isn't Usenet, or I'd get my posting
           licensce revoked :-)'' K.