Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Texas flag

To: kesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Texas flag
From: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:34:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jake,
     Regarding the Texas flag:  I was using a model in a table of state
flags as a guideline, and the proportions of the blue, white, red regions
are within one pixel of the correct proportions based on that model.
In other words, the blue band is the correct width (within the granularity
of the small size of the image).  Unless the state flags table (from
National Geographic) was incorrect!
     Also, my shield is "wide" and the star appears "large" because I
wanted to emphasize the STAR in the shield... don't you folks call your
state the "Lone Star State"??  It was the best compromise on such a small
image, and still have the star appear like a real star and appear
*prominent*.
     (If Texas has an appropriate official "seal", that might be better
for the Shield.  We used the Keystone for PA and an official seal
(actually, the military seal I think) for Chile.)

     In short, I recommend using your Engels flag and (corrected) ruleset,
and using my Trident flag and Trident shield.

Cheers,
---Reed