Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Fun AI savegame

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Fun AI savegame
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:01:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> Here is another fun AI savegame.
> Watch the AI send every defender (except for one) exploring. When it
> builds a warrior, it sends the defending phalanx away and puts the warrior
> as defender. Then the truly bizarre stuff: The AI starts to send the
> phalanxes back to reinforce the city, then back to explore, continually
> counteracting itself so that basically the phalanxes stand still for the
> rest of the game on the border of some unexplored territory. Yay.

Here is a fix. Now AI keeps defenders in the city, and manages to expand
and research.

It changes the inept stay_and_defend() function as follows:
  * there is a bug in that it evaluates our defensive value when looking
for a viable defender which can defend the city in our place (instead of
us)
  * we only leave if we find a defender in the city that is our
equal or better (no leaving a warrior in charge of defense anymore!)
  * added check for grave_danger; if found, we stay, no matter what;
rampage can still make us attack close targets

The AI sets grave_danger too quickly, though. The southernmost city is far
away from the musketeer, but still triggers grave_danger. This is bad. We
should rewrite the danger code (and with pf).

With the two patches mentioned so far, the AI should at least manage
better than before. I will do some more test cases, then commit them
unless I find problems.