Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9626) RFC: design for AI strategic ro

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9626) RFC: design for AI strategic road building
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:58:49 -0700

  As a side note, 'strategic' and 'trade inspiring' road buildig should
be not totally separate. AI should at least consider another as tie
breaker between equal tiles when building another.

  Common situation in my games:
  There is two equal (in terms of f/p/t, both before and after road is
built) tiles within city radius. City is working one of them. I decide
to build road to tile which is not currently worked as it leads towards
another city too. I also switch worker to this tile immediately so it
will be used as soon as road is finished even if I forgot rearrange
workers later (not concern for AI) and to prevent another city from
'stealing' this tile.

 > (tiles that can't have roads built - like ocean - are unaccessible)

  I hope this does not mean that whole connection is aborted if there is
no such route where you can build roads to every tile. Before bridge
building is invented, rivers may cut such routes.

   o   A              o
   o   x              o
   o   x              o
   o    x             o
   o-----------------Co
   o     x            o
   o      x           o
   o      x           o
   o       B          o

  o   - Ocean
  -   - River
  A,B - Cities we want to connect
  C   - Enemy city
  x   - Road I would build

  Note that even without C, using road round river source would take
longer than above road.

  - Caz