Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9626) RFC: design for AI strategic ro

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9626) RFC: design for AI strategic road building
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:18:11 -0700

>> (tiles that can't have roads built - like ocean - are unaccessible)
>
> I hope this does not mean that whole connection is aborted if there is no
> such route where you can build roads to every tile. Before bridge building
> is invented, rivers may cut such routes.
>
> o   A              o o   x              o o   x              o o    x
> o o-----------------Co o     x            o o      x           o o      x
> o o       B          o
>

> o   - Ocean -   - River A,B - Cities we want to connect C   - Enemy city x
> - Road I would build
>
> Note that even without C, using road round river source would take longer
> than above road.

That's a good point.  I think for road building the MC should be 1 for tiles
that can have roads and (terrain's move cost) for those that can't.  This way
the above situation should be handled.  However it's not quite right since a
single tile break in the road causes the full MP to be used for _2_ moves.
Perhaps with more complex logic (checking the source tile) this could be
handled.

jason