Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#8778) New settler code

To: Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#8778) New settler code
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 06:21:36 -0700

Much as I would like to, I do not have the physical stamina or time reserves
to carry out the necessary levels of coding and testing as was done with the
corecleanups, nor has this ever really been much of a help in satisfying
your sort of request in the past - thus is perceived as wasted effort.
Extracting localized elements from the last corecleanups diff while creating
a working patched version to try out as you rewrite things to the way you
want is probably going to be more effective from your perspective.

Incidentally, while I have managed to exceed my "best before" date of 2-3
months given me in May 2003, there is no firm expectation that I will be
around the necessary number of months or years to get a patch through the
system, and you are best to have someone else take on this task with
whatever guidance I can provide meanwhile. I will endeavor to respond to
email requests as best I can.

The corecleanups code referred to below is relatively localized in the 3-4
places that correspond to the loosely coupled flavour of doing things -
namely, managing boats including their exploring code, advisor code for
building units with changes to find_boat and locating offshore city/landing
sites. That doesn't mean other standard coding elements of the corecleanups
may not be involved such as some of handle calls, but I suspect that they
can be converted to current calls without much effect. Running a diff
between the two corecleanups versions where ferry code was added can be a
useful way to spot some of the larger sections.

Cheers,
RossW
=====