Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#8778) New settler code

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#8778) New settler code
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:36:15 -0700

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2004, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > Now to building _new_ ferries.New code doesn't do that at all and it's
> > the only thing missing.Here are some thoughts:
> >
> > The old system was crude but it worked.Here are the main features:
> >
> > 1. Inland cities don't even consider building settlers for overseas
> >  travel.
>
> This might be considered a feature for the new code. The search space for
> overseas settling is really big and CPU intensive.

By the way, why not restrict overseas search only to coastal spots?  I
think I got a bit carried away when I coded this.  The code will be more
readable with this combined_ stuff (it is necessary in find_ferry
though).

> > 2. Coastal cities consider going overseas to settle.If they choose
> >  to do so, they look for a boat nearby.  If they don't find it,
> >  instead of building a settler they start building a boat.
>
> This is not a bad idea at all. It is simple, fast and it works - what more
> can you ask for? :)
>
> Anyway, I think we should perhaps starting committing the settlers code
> sooner rather than later, so that we don't duplicate our work.

Give me a couple of days, I will put in provisions for building ferries.
Without it the code cannot go in.  Then I will go abroad and leave you to
commit it (hehe, you got the dirty work).  And maybe commit find_ferry
asap, the old version in newsettler13.diff does cause some bugs.

By the way, when we commit it, we kill the old settling code, right?