Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#8778) New settler code

To: Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#8778) New settler code
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 05:56:47 -0700

Ferry building requires a global oversight component. Simply counting
ferries and cities with possibly some fudge for sea regions, i.e. ferries
are restricted to a given area by physical or policy requirements can be
as trivial as a 1 ferry per 3 cities cutoff. Ferry "building" should not
be something that is a purely local or instantaneous option like needing
a defender. It should *never* be tightly coupled with another task, but
always be one of the build options possible in competition with all others.

This means that settler ferrying needs to understand that ferry service
can be "delayed" for any number of terms as a ferry completes a current
trade route or exploring cycle. Building a ferry should not be part of
the consideration, but is an independent task that gets a priority boost
every time a settler wants to travel, thus ferry building competes with
settler building or any other such, and settlers just do normal things
if there are no ferries currently available or not busy. In a few turns
the situation can change as a ferry is built, or comes free. The only
gotcha might be some sort of deferred or short time task that means a
settler is not always busy when a ferry is free for service, i.e. some
synchronization issues between the more loosely coupled actions.

Ferries need to understand a "ticket booking" system where passengers
request and maintain a request for source-destination travel which the
ferry optimizes by picking up and dropping off passengers along an
optimized route.

Exploring ferries should return home if there are passengers waiting, and
always have their fallback explore mode preempted by ferry needs, i.e. this
is the lowest priority request in their booking algorithm.

When there are multiple ferries possible for service, the *closest* needs
to hold the ticket, though over turns tickets might be reassigned to other
ferries as such conditions change.

There is a reasonably complete prototype of this sort of system coded and
working. Mostly it is just making sure that normal code flow has the
appropriate checks and options rather than that there is a dedicated piece
of settler code that hardwires some stupid algorithm that interacts with a
lot of unrelated concepts and areas of the code by combining subtasks that
should just be left to compete independently. Instead use loose interactions
like changing priority boost parameters each subtask uses in its private
decision making process.

Cheers,
RossW
=====