Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: New settler code

Cc: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: New settler code
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:11:55 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:59:17PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

Now I finally got to citymap and I don't like the concept.First of all,
it means that AI players work in coordination: they do not try to make
cities on others' spots.Secondly, I don't like mixing server and AI and
here you have server creating a city and putting it on AIs map.I feel
that citymap should be maintained on per-player basis by players
themselves.This will lead to more CPU usage, but I think this is the

Amen. This is exactly what I'm talking about Per. Please do not continue
down the path of more tightly integrating AI into the server.

Apparently you don't appreciate the genius of this code ;)

Duplicating the map for each player will not consume more CPU, but more
memory. The current implementation uses 61kb. Multiply by 32 players, and
you spend 3mb.

But each player just needs one bit of information for each tile, right? So 97% of this 3mb is empty, and could be eliminated if you used a bitfield.

Moreover, for systems where std_bool uses a char values as boolean, the 3mb is reduced to 750k anyway.

jason