Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: README.AI

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: README.AI
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:36:26 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:43:18PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > Suppose we have a constant rate of inflation, x percent.  Then in five
> > years time 10$ will buy as much as 10*(100/(100+x))^5 will buy today.
> > Denoting 100/(100+x) by q we get the general formula, N dollars Y
> > years from now will be worth N*q^Y in todays money.  If we will
> > receive N every year starting Y years from now, the total amount
> > receivable (in todays money) is N*q^Y / (1-q) --- this is the sum of
> > infinite geometric series.  This is exactly the answer that amortize
> > gives.  Note that the factor 1/(1-q) does not depend on the parameters
> > N and Y and can be ignored.  In this setting, the current value of
> > MORT = 24 corresponds to the inflation rate (or rate of expansion of
> > your civ) of 4.3%
>
> Can you say how 4.3% is calulcated?

Yep.  amortize multiplies N by ((MORT-1)/MORT)^Y, which in my speculation
corresponds to q^Y.  So
        (MORT - 1) / MORT = q = 100 / (100 + x)    (*)
and from here
        x = 100 * MORT / (MORT - 1) - 100

Do you want me to perhaps include line (*) ?

> > Building a brand-new attacker is more complicated.  Firstly,
> > ai_choose_attacker_* functions are charged to find the "best
> > prototype" attacker we can build here.  The prototype is selected
>
> "best prototype"?

Is "first approximation to the best attacker" better?

Maybe I should give an example:

First ai_choose_attacker_land selects a dragoon because it's strong and
fast.  Then find_something_to_kill finds a victim for the (virtual)
dragoon, an enemy musketeer standing right next to the town.  Then
process_attacker_want figures out that since the enemy is right beside us,
it can be taken out easier using an artillery.  It also figures that
howitzer would do this job even better, so bumps up our desire for
Robotics.

> > * City tile values could be cached.  However, caching was tried by
> > Raimar in CMA and was deemed unsuccessful.
>
> Has nothing to do with CMA.

Is this better:
However, caching was tried by Raimar and was deemed unsuccessful.