Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: README.AI

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: README.AI
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:36:27 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Should we stick Ross in here? Ross, do you want your name in the Doc?
>
> > THE AI CREW
> > ===========

[..]

> > WANT CALCULATIONS
> > =================
> >
> > Build calculations are expressed through a structure called ai_choice.
> > This has a variable called "want", which determines how much the AI
> > wants whatever item is pointed to by choice->type. choice->want is
> >
> >    -199   get_a_boat
> >    < 0    an error
> >    == 0   no want, nothing to do
> >    <= 100 normal want
> >     > 100 critical want, used to requisition emergency needs
> >     > ??? probably an error (1024 is a reasonable upper bound)
> >
> > These are ideal numbers, your mileage while travelling through the
> > code may vary considerably.  Technology and diplomats, in particular,
> > seem to violate these standards.
>
> Still missing a comment.
>
> When want exceeds 200, it is capped below that number.

Sorry, I only replied to the comments directed towards what was written by
me.  Besides, it's not always capped at 200.

> > THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED
> > ============================
> >
> > * The AI difficulty levels aren't fully implemented. Either add more
> > handicaps to 'easy', or use easy diplomacy mode.
> > * AI doesn't understand when to become DEMOCRACY. Actually it doesn't
> > evalute governments much at all.
>
> I'd prefer to see this line.
>
> * AI doesn't understand when to become DEMOCRACY or FUNDAMENTALIST. Actually
> it
> doesn't evalute governments much at all.

Feel free to change it.  I didn't write it.

> > * Cities don't realize units are on their way to defend it.
> > * AI doesn't understand that some wonders are obsolete, that some
> > wonders become obsolete, and doesn't upgrade units.
>
> Some version of amortize for wonders is needed.
>

> > * City tile values are not cached; wastes CPU time.
>
> Bad Greg ;). Get rid of this line.

Didn't write it.

> > * struct choice should have a priority indicator in it.  This will
> > reduce the number of "special" want values and remove the necessity to
> > * have want capped, thus reducing confusion.
>
> Aargh. Let me restate my position. Want should work in such a way that we
> don't
> need priority indicators. This means
>
> Getting rid of the ability of want to reach > 100
>
> 0-80 normal want
> 80-90 critical
> 90 buy now.
>
> Smart, sensible and obvious.

Now please come up with a scheme of computing such want in a consistent
way.

> The priority scheme means a want of 40 with the
> highest priority would supercede a want of 100 with a lower priority. This is
> ugly and stupid.

It is more sensible than the present system and implementable too, which I
cannot say about your proposal yet.