Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: File too short

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: File too short
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:51:43 -0600

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 08:22, you wrote:

> > knoppix can't get to it.
>
> That is really strange, and I suspect that it's not actually the case;
> Knoppix may not mount it for you automatically, but I'd be quite
> surprised if it couldn't see it.  The only reason I could think of for
> that is if you're using an exotic filesystem of some sort -- but even
> then, I think Knoppix supports most filesystems.

Thanks very much for the help.
Well, I thought I had it.  Loaded knoppix, click on big K, then knoppix, then
root-shell.  Got a terminal,

mount /mnt/hda2
cd /mnt/hda2
rm libc.so.6
ls libc*           got nothing.  So libc.so.6 is gone.

Rebooted and got a new message: "cannot open shared file: libc.so.6: no such
file or directory."  Here, I don't understand why it cares????

Back to knoppix.  Found RH-7.2 (on the sick box) contained libc-2.2.4.so.  As
root:  ln libc-2.2.4.so libc.so.6

reboot and now message is libc.so.6: file too short.

Back on Knoppix - libc-2.2.4.so is an empty file.  So I copied it from another
system to a floppy and tried to overwrite the one on the sick box. Message is
"read-only file system."  Couldn't even copy it to my /home/bruce/ and got
same answer - "read-only file system."

It appears that knoppix won't let me write or mkdir anywhere on the disk.
Since permissions on the link were '777' , it did let me remove it and then
create another link.  However /tmp has permissions of drwxrwxrwt, but I
cannot copy to it or mkdir in it.

I tried copying the floppy file directly to /mnt/hda2/lib/libc.so.6, (since I
was able to remove it, I thought I could replace it) but again got 'read-only
filesystem.'

I'll try some of the other suggestions.  Thanks again for the help.
bruce